Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring!


Thank goodness this crazy winter is finally over and we can now look forward to warmer temps! I definitely need to live somewhere warm and sunny because I LOOOVE the sun! I don't know how I feel about the humidity... so this summer might be a little rough for me. I think I'm going to miss that dry Arizona "oven" heat. Humidity is only nice when you are in Hawaii on the beach relaxing. So we'll see how this summer goes.

After Josh's commissioning we got to enjoy a little of the spring weather and we all went up to D.C. for the day. The cherry blossoms were starting to bloom and it was just so beautiful! The Cherry Blossom Festival had actually just started when we got there (who knew there was even such a thing) I learned that it is an annual event to commerate the 1912 gift of 3,000 cherry blossom trees that were given to Washington D.C. by the Mayor of Tokyo to honor the friendship between Japan and the United States. Just a little factoid for you. :)


It also happened to be "Kite Flying Day" so tons of families were out by the Washington Monument flying their kites. I just love that people who live in D.C. go to the monuments on the weekends to have picnics and they can go for a run by the Jefferson Memorial and the White House; how cool would that be! What a great place to live! Well, minus the traffic. When I drove home on Sunday afternoon there was bumper to bumper traffic and it took me almost 6 hours to get home! There is even traffic at 1 am... I don't understand that.


How would you like to have this view while playing a leisurely game of soccer right under the Washington Monument? So cool!

But despite the traffic, I absolutely love D.C.! It really is an awesome city; the monuments are so pretty and there is so much history there. Josh and I are going to try to go there on a few weekends because we just love it; there is so much to do and so much to see. On Saturday we visited the Smithsonian American History Museum. I loved the First Ladies exhibit where all their dresses from inaugural balls were on display. Not sure Josh was too keen on this one, but his mom and I sure enjoyed it. Oh, and Julia Child's kitchen was on display... so neat!


Surrounded by spring! :)

Then on Sunday Josh and I had lunch in Georgetown and walked around the shops there. Georgetown is such a cute place! The houses are adorable and there are cobblestone sidewalks. I'm such a sucker for these cute little towns. Although it took me almost 6 hours to drive home from D.C. because of all the traffic, it was totally worth it! D.C. is amazing... so much to do and so much to see. Can't wait to go back and explore some more! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment