Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thankful


 
I have probably said it before, but I'll say it again: Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  There is no pressure of gifts like at Christmas, and its simply about being together, cooking, eating good food and reflecting about all there is to be thankful for in our lives.  Can't think of anything better than that!


This year I'm feeling particularly thankful.  Yes, Josh is gone and I could be sad about that, but having him away really puts life into perspective and makes me appreciate the little things.  Like being able to eat dinner together after a long day at work, running errands together and even just making him breakfast in the morning.   I used to dread waking up at 5am on my days off to make him breakfast.  Now, I miss that and when he gets back I will never complain about it again.  I'm also feeling VERY thankful for my family and friends.  I would never have been able to get through this deployment with a positive attitude without their love and support.  They have kept me busy, called to check up on me and have lifted me up when I've had some rough days.  I could go on and on because I have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.  In fact, I have a "thankful" journal where I jot down something I'm thankful for at the end of every day.  I highly recommend it to everyone! Start today; its the perfect way to put a positive spin to even the worst of days.  At the end of the day, no matter how tough there is always something to be thankful for.

The dogs waiting patiently for something to drop as Pop carves the turkey
This year we had a pretty healthy Thanksgiving because my uncle is on the "Paleo" diet and my parents are now eating "gluten-free".  The combination of these two diets meant no stuffing, no mashed potatoes, no Pumpkin Pie; pretty much everything delicious about Thanksgiving was out of the question.  However, I revolted a little and made some stuffing anyway.  I just can't imagine Thanksgiving without at least stuffing!  In place of mashed potatoes we had "cauliflower mash" which was surprisingly very delicious and a dish I will probably be incorporating into future family meals/Thanksgiving dinners.  Yes, it was that good!

Mmm... brussel sprouts!
For dessert we went to a family friend's house.  I like to call her Martha Stewart, because she always hosts the best parties; her house is always perfectly decorated and the food she serves is always to DIE for!  For those of you who read my bridal shower blog she's the one who hosted my AMAZING bridal shower.  I think there were probably 4 different pies, 3 or 4 different kinds of cookies, brownies, whoopie pies and probably a few other desserts there!  I felt like I had to try one of each dessert; and boy were they delicious and decadent!

Desserts galore!

Thanksgiving was a hit, and a blast as it always is! Good food, good company just as Thanksgiving should be.  And to top off the weekend my lil' sis got MARRIED!  It was a beautiful wedding of two beautiful people!  Congrats to new Mr. and Mrs. Ryan Cooper!  The weather was spectacular... highs were in the 80s! It was so warm, my dad and cousin Iggy even went for a swim in the pool.  They didn't last long though; I think the water was only in the 60s.

Walking the dogs and enjoying the beautiful AZ weather!



Going for a swim, in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment