Monday, May 9, 2011

Journey to California- Day 2



Day 2 started out fabulously because we met Anna for breakfast in Nashville. We went to Fido which is this fun and hip coffee shop where apparently lots of stars go (Taylor Swift and Jake Gyellenhal had their first date there and Darius Rucker has been spotted there). According to Anna they have the BEST oatmeal there and boy was she right! In case you don't know, I am OBSESSED with oatmeal (seriously, I have it every morning for breakfast). I love discovering new toppings and new ways to prepare it (yes dork alert). For example, in the fall I LOVE to have pumpkin butter and pecans in it and in the summer, berries and brown sugar. Yum!! The oatmeal at Fido was so fluffy and delicious, topped with yummy fruit toppings. I honestly wish I would have taken a picture of it because it was probably the best oatmeal I've ever had at a restaurant. Thanks for meeting us for a scrumptious breakfast Anna!!



After Nashville we headed back on the road towards Memphis and towards all the flood waters. Apparently the Mississippi River is expected to crest at 48 feet which is the highest level in 70 years! We definitely saw a lot of flooding as we were driving. Some houses were partly underwater and sandbags were everywhere. Part of the 40 in Arkansas was flooded so we had to take a 2-hour detour around the flood waters. We ended up going through a lot of small towns on the detour which was fun and pretty interesting. We drove through one town, Hardy, AR with a population of 152!! That's less than the number of girls in my sorority! However seeing all these small towns was pretty sad because there was a lot of water coming in. I remember seeing one family who was busy surrounding their house with sandbags. It was so sad to think that these people might lose their homes which they've probably lived in for their entire lives and which hold all of their possessions. So please keep all these people in your prayers!


Flood waters


The tilt on this picture is not to give it a more dramatic effect. My grandpa just has a hard time taking a straight picture. But in his defense we were traveling at like 65 miles per hour when this picture was taken.

After we got through the flood waters we stopped in Fort Smith, AR for the night. I'm not going to lie I'm not the biggest fan of Arkansas (I'm sorry Chelsea Jo I really tried to love it for your sake but it just didn't happen). There were lots of dead armadillos on the side of the road and I definitely saw two big women fishing in a DITCH on the side of the road... yes a ditch! I'm sure there are probably really cute parts of Arkansas, but I think I might have missed them. So Chelsea Jo I think we may need to take a trip to Arkansas sometime so you can change my mind about it. :)

We didn't end up going as far as we wanted because of the 2 hour detour but I think we'll end up making it up tomorrow. And Beans didn't make any more escape attempts so I guess it was a pretty good day :).

No comments:

Post a Comment