Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Spring has Sprung!



Goodbye Winter and hello Spring!!! We don't really have "seasons" here in Cali because its pretty much always mild and sunny (sorry I have to brag).  But even without seasons, it still feels different now that its Spring.

I can't think of a better way to kick off Spring than to visit the Carlsbad Flower Fields.  Chelsea secretly came out to surprise Anna for her Surprise Birthday Party so while she was here we decided to stop by and explore these beautiful fields.  I drive by them everytime I go to Costco (which I admit is quite often) but I've never actually stopped to take a look.  I am so happy we stopped because they were GORGEOUS!!!  There were what seemed like miles and miles of flowers and milions of millions of flowers.  I learned that the flowers were first grown in the 1920s by a man who had brought Ranunculus seeds here when he first settled here.  At first the flowers were only red and yellow but when a different color sprung up the flower farmer would save the seed and plant it the next year.  Now there are over 13 different colors of these ranunculus grown in the fields! 



There is just something about flowers and warmer weather and longer sunny days that makes me SOO happy!! I absolutely love the sun and warmth, and I think without it I'd be one unhappy girl; I'd probably turn into a Debbie Downer for sure.  Just ask Josh and I'm sure he'd tell you that I can be a bit of a pain in the butt when I'm cold.  And fresh flowers are a must in any home.  One of the things I always wanted to make sure I did when I had a home was to always have fresh flowers.  So far, I've been pretty good about it.


After the flowers Chelsea, Josh and I drove downtown to surprise Anna.  Anna knew she was meeting Josh and I for happy hour but she had NO idea Chelsea would be there.  When Anna saw Chelsea she was so so surprised; there were tears of joy.  :)  It was the best!

The next morning we got up early, ate a delicious and hearty breakfast so we'd be set for our day out on the Pacific Ocean.  A big thanks to Chelsea and Anna for being my sous chefs.  There are a few recipes I've always wanted to try to make but have been hesistant to make because it makes so much and Josh and I don't really want to eat the same leftovers for 4 days in a row.  So when people come to visit I get to make new dishes!  :)
One of our decadent breakfast creations.... Monkey Bread!!!

 Anna's Uncle Bob has a boat here in San Diego so he took us out on the ocean for a day of sun, sea and whale watching.  The sun part didn't really happen, BUT the whale watching did.  After I felt like I was going cross-eyed from staring out into the open ocean to see a whale, it all paid off and we saw a whale!  Well I only saw the spout but other people did spot the tail and the arm.  It was pretty amazing.  Despite the cloudy skies, mild seasickness (poor Chelsea), rough water and my fear of boats, we had a GREAT time!!  In fact, Josh had so much fun that the next couple days he kept talking about the yacht he was going to own someday.  Actually, he is still talking about it.  I love how that boy can dream!







 All bundled up for the cold/rainy/windy weather!  I think Anna's toes even turned blue.  But we still had a blast!



















After our day of boating, Anna's mom had meticulously planned a surprise party for Anna later that evening.  So we said our proper "goodbyes" and parted ways.  Later, we all met up again to "surprise" Anna.  It was a great party.  I'm so so happy Anna got to make a trip out here.  I just hope it happens more often.  Anna, I hope you get the residency of your dreams, but I'm selfishly hoping its in California so at least we're on the same side of the United States.

We had a wonderful weekend and it was a great kickoff to Spring.  I'm already looking forward to the warm and sunny summer days when I can just lie on the beach and nap and lay in the sun.  Gotta get my vitamin D!

No comments:

Post a Comment