Monday, December 7, 2009

Gobble Gobble!



Thanksgiving is probably one of my favorite holidays. It's a time for families to get together, cook, relax, enjoy each other's company and just be thankful. There's no stress about getting gifts or worrying about what to get those people who are impossible to shop for. All that's required is to simply enjoy a big meal.

This Thanksgiving my mom and I cooked, which was my first time really helping out for Thanksgiving. I was in charge of the stuffing, broccoli gratin, the rolls and I also helped with the turkey. The stuffing turned out amazing!! Seriously it was such a hit! I found it on food network.com and tried it because it got a lot of good reviews. Here is the link if you want to try it, which you really should because it is so so so delicious!
All the delicious food (minus the Turkey)

Cooking Thanksgiving wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be. We made a lot of the sides ahead of time and simply put them in the oven before dinner. However, the turkey was another story. That thing was a beast! It was so heavy and just transferring it from the fridge to the countertop was an ordeal. And speaking of turkeys.... there have been a family of about 15 turkeys that have been wandering in the hills behind our house. Josh and I joked that we should have just hunted one of those for our dinner in true pilgrim style. I'll try to take a picture next time I see them. Because I don't know about you, but I had never seen a wild turkey until I saw these. And let me tell you, they are pretty ugly and really strange looking.


Cooking with my mom

We invited a family from church over for dinner. They have an adorable lil baby girl who is so much fun to play with. For whatever reason (well I can relate to the reason :) ), she has a thing for Josh because whenever I am holding her she cries and the moment Josh holds her she stops. This actually happened to us after church one day and a random lady came up to us and said "Dad does it every time doesn't he." Josh and I just started laughing and tried to explain that we were not the parents, but she didn't get it. She even asked to take a picture of the "happy family"... so funny!!

But anyway, Thanksgiving was a success. All the cooking paid off. Everyone loved all the food and the company was great. Thanksgiving reminds me that there is so so so much to be thankful for in my life. I've started a new thing where every day I think of at least one thing I'm thankful for that day. I've done it with my parents and Josh and it's been really fun. It's actually a really great thing to do, especially when you've had a tough day. No matter how hard life gets there is always something to be thankful for.

Just one of the many people I'm so thankful for :)

We ended the evening with an intense game of Monopoly. Now by intense I mean intense. We all know how competitive Josh gets and when you pit him against Katiya, who is the Monopoly Queen, well then you can understand why it was a crazy game. It was such a fun end to a wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. Glad your Thanksgiving was fun! Did you bake any PIES? I swear all I need on Thanksgiving is pie and stuffing and I'm a happy camper (so I guess that means I'll have to try that stuffing recipe!). We need to talk soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete